Do you know how to upgrade the firmware of your Linksys router "wirelessly" or "remotely"?

Ok people....,

I have been looking to upgrade the firmware of my router wirelessly but to no avail. I want to find a way to do that.. in this day and age.. we need to have the ability to perform this simple procedure.. I will get to the bottom of it.. man, some of you keep your firmwares to version 1.1. In any case, I would have to employ either tftp or ftp to get to the router and then work the firmware.

Here's what Linksys advises:

Duane T. (10364): Hi, my name is Duane T. (10364). How may I help you?
todizzytotell: Hello, I have a question about the firmware
todizzytotell: I want to uprade my firmware
Duane T. (10364): Sure.
Duane T. (10364): Okay.
todizzytotell: however, the access point is in the attic
todizzytotell: I want to do it wirelessly
todizzytotell: looking for a utility to do that
todizzytotell: or somehow if i could telnet or ftp into it
todizzytotell: or even use the tftp server
todizzytotell: just wondering if you guys can help me with it
Duane T. (10364): Actually, you cannot upgrade the firmware of your router wirelessly. You should do it thorough wired connection. So that to avoid any interference during the upgrade process.
todizzytotell: that is not an option for me unfortunately. Is there any way, any process, backdoor that I can use it to do it wirelessly
Duane T. (10364): A slight interference during the upgrade process will cause a problem in the future when you ruin the router to work with your mode later on.
todizzytotell: If I ruin it, I'll have to go to the attic anyways, but, I am trying to avoid it,
Duane T. (10364): Let me verify if there is in anyway we can do it wireless in upgrading the router.
todizzytotell: :)
todizzytotell: thanks
todizzytotell: (it doesn't have to be a simple solution, i am cisco certified)
Duane T. (10364): Thank you for waiting.
todizzytotell: np
Duane T. (10364): Basically, I have verified this to our resources and unfortunately, if you wish to upgrade the router wirelessly, it will not give a 100 % guarantee that it will work because as what we have experienced to a lot our clients, the firmware will be corrupted if you do it wirelessly. It never work so that is why advise our clients to do it through a wired connection.
todizzytotell: One last question
todizzytotell: is there a way to ftp, or tftp into these boxes
Duane T. (10364): Once you do it wirelessly and it get mess up, it could only ruin the firmware of your router.
Duane T. (10364): Yes, you can also download the firmware of your router through the ftp site.
Duane T. (10364): You can see there the pftp.exe file as well as the ,bin file for the upgrade process.
Duane T. (10364): *tftp.exe file.
todizzytotell: so these files are available on your site
Duane T. (10364): Yes, you need to know first the exact model including the version number of your router.
todizzytotell: thank you so much for your help
Duane T. (10364): You are welcome.
Duane T. (10364): Is there anything else I can help you with?
todizzytotell: thats all.
Duane T. (10364): For more information, you can also visit our Knowledge Base located at http://www.linksys.com/kb. The site contains troubleshooting tips, how-to instructions, as well as solutions to common issues relating to all Linksys products.
Duane T. (10364): Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you through Live Chat Support. For your records, a case number for this chat session will be e-mailed to you. Feel free to contact us if you require further assistance. Please do not forget to log out from this window. Once again, my name is Duane. Thank you for choosing Linksys and have a great day!

I will update this blog regularly but if you guys already know of a way to update the firmware wirelessly or "remotely" post a comment..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I uѕeԁ to be able tο fіnԁ
good advice from yοur content.

Here іѕ my ωeb-site; reputation management

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Loѕ angeles! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can't wait to take a
loоk ωhen I get home. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not eνеn using
WIFI, juѕt 3G .. Anyways, wonderful blog!

My web-ѕite lloyd irvin

Anonymous said...

Eνeгything is vеry open with а rеallу clеaг descriptіon of
the chаllenges. It was definіtelу informativе.
Your website is vеry helpful. Many thanks for shaгing!


mу sitе: reputation management